Toxic Friendship Litmus Test: Below is a list of 20 key indicators that you are in a toxic relationship.
Examine this list carefully, and if you answer yes to 4 or more of the below examples it is quite likely you are in a toxic relationship.
- They use language like “I don’t even know why we’re friends”
- They threaten abandonment if there is any confrontation or conflict.
- They are unable to take constructive criticism
- They go behind your back, for example sharing private information, or saying negative things about you with others.
- They have a victim mentality
- It’s all about them, they take more than they give, for example: Conversations tend to center around them
- They are obsessively needy
- They are overly critical of you or constantly put you down
- They hold a grudge and brings up things from the past
- They have a track record of broken relationships
- There is a whole lot of drama, where ever that person goes drama seems to follow
- They are jealous of your other relationships
- They try to control you
- They secretly copy you
- They are hypocritical, they expect things from you they themselves are not accountable to.
- They are dishonest with you and/or others
- They try to push your boundaries, and will not take “no” for an answer
- You feel stress in your body associated with this friendship
- Your other friends or family members have concerns about your friendship with this person.
- You feel emotionally drained after time with this person.
Dr. Nicole Cain is an advocate for empowering people around the world to help themselves via her educational free resources, online courses, and membership group. You can receive the tools you need to find the root cause of your symptoms and feel healthy again.