Toxic Friendship Litmus Test: Below is a list of 20 key indicators that you are in a toxic relationship.
Examine this list carefully, and if you answer yes to 4 or more of the below examples it is quite likely you are in a toxic relationship.
- They use language like “I don’t even know why we’re friends”
- They threaten abandonment if there is any confrontation or conflict.
- They are unable to take constructive criticism
- They go behind your back, for example sharing private information, or saying negative things about you with others.
- They have a victim mentality
- It’s all about them, they take more than they give, for example: Conversations tend to center around them
- They are obsessively needy
- They are overly critical of you or constantly put you down
- They hold a grudge and brings up things from the past
- They have a track record of broken relationships
- There is a whole lot of drama, where ever that person goes drama seems to follow
- They are jealous of your other relationships
- They try to control you
- They secretly copy you
- They are hypocritical, they expect things from you they themselves are not accountable to.
- They are dishonest with you and/or others
- They try to push your boundaries, and will not take “no” for an answer
- You feel stress in your body associated with this friendship
- Your other friends or family members have concerns about your friendship with this person.
- You feel emotionally drained after time with this person.
Dr. Nicole Cain is an advocate for empowering people around the world to help themselves via her educational video e-courses, books, and exclusive free Facebook group. You can receive the tools you need to find the root cause of your symptoms and feel healthy again.