Are you feeling the need to fix your loved ones with anxiety?
Do you have someone in your life that is overcome by worries?
Do you have a loved one who is in the grips of terrible anxiety?
Are you saddened by the way anxiety has transformed the personality of someone close to you to someone who is almost unrecognizable?
- When someone close to us is anxious, you can feel it.
- Anxiety robs a person of their joy, their time, and their sense of well-being.
- At times, anxiety can be so debilitating that people develop insomnia, lose weight, and have a difficult time accomplishing daily living tasks.
In this blog, I will discuss four fast fixes for someone in your life suffering from anxiety.
Let me tell you a story about why I am passionate about helping the family members of those suffering from anxiety:
As a doctor, I was used to having the answers to people’s problems—or at least being able to quickly reference materials and come up with a plan. But then, someone very close to me went through a period of anxiety so severe that they could barely make it to their job—let alone get through the day. I tried to support them and I brought them to appointments with doctors, therapists, hypnotherapists, acupuncturists, and even neuropsychological experts. When they didn’t get better, I didn’t know where to turn, so I began to devote myself to researching solutions to help your loved ones with anxiety. I read medical journals, books, and consulted with many talented clinicians about the multi-faceted causes of anxiety to find the most trusted and proven solutions. During this time, I compiled hundreds of pages of research on mind/body interventions, therapies, medications, herbal and natural remedies, experimental treatments and more.
At last, I was able to find the right combination of anxiety solutions, professional treatments, and self-help that my loved one needed—and several months later, we were laughing together and enjoying life just like before.
Through this experience, I found the solutions for anxiety that I had been seeking—and now I am in a position to help many more people not have to suffer like I did.
I am honored to share these life-changing anxiety solutions with you.
I am passionate about helping people overcome anxiety and so now I am sharing these life changing strategies with you. If you are feeling the need to help your loved ones with anxiety that seem to be suffering, I have Four Fast Fixes to help them get started on a healing journey.
Number One: Educate yourself about anxiety, and do not give advice.
- Before you take any action, you need to understand what anxiety is, what the causes are, and how it shows up in people’s lives. If you have never experienced severe anxiety, it may be difficult for you to understand what your loved one is experiencing. Therefore, giving unsolicited advice about what you do when you are worried, or something you heard on youtube, the radio, or television will likely not have the effect you are intending.
- Once you truly take the time to understand anxiety, the causes, and the solutions, then you will be ready to help that important person in your life. It may seem unproductive to you that I am suggesting that you take a few days to learn about anxiety before figuring out how to help that person in your life, but by failing to prepare you are preparing to fail.
- So trust me, your education about anxiety will help you help your loved one with anxiety much more effectively. Note that I have copious amounts of free information on my website, in my free 7 day anxiety freedom challenge, and an entire treasure trove of information in my Solutions for Anxiety online course.
Number Two: De-stigmatize Your loved one’s experience about Anxiety
- One of the most important steps to fix your loved ones with anxiety is to help them accept that they are suffering from anxiety. However, for many people admitting that they have some type of emotional or mental issue brings up feelings of shame and inadequacy. It is important to help your loved one understand that when anxiety starts messing with their life, it is similar to having a broken ankle—it needs addressing. If you have done the research and educated yourself, you will understand that every person alive deals with anxiety. It is only when the anxiety becomes severe that it begins to debilitate someone and cause chaos in their life.
- So when you address your loved one with anxiety, make sure you use open-ended questions, empathy, and make sure to take it slow. It is important that you let your loved one know that you care about them, and that you have been learning about anxiety and that you are concerned that they may be suffering from anxiety. Let them know that you have been learning a lot about anxiety and even though when someone is suffering from anxiety they may feel that there are no solutions—there are actually solutions out there.
- Let them know that you are not trying to change them or rush them into anything, but that you really care and if they want you help, you are willing to help them make a plan that works for them.
Number Three: Use your trusting relationship to help your loved one stop avoiding and start to break free from the trap of anxiety.
- If you have succeeded in having a talk with your loved one about anxiety and they have been receptive, it is time to work on formalizing a plan to help them to stop their avoidance and start breaking free from the trap of anxiety. Remember, that a formal meeting works best.
- Begin with one goal that you help your loved one set, and then help them break that goal down into a series of small steps. Since we are early in the process, ask them if you can help them with any of the steps.
- Make sure to work on specific times and dates that they can work on the goal—this way they may be able to add a sense of self-ownership and structure to their life, which can also help to reduce anxiety.
- One of the key elements of helping a loved one who is suffering from anxiety, is getting them to commit to a plan of action. The difficult thing about anxiety, is that it often causes people to feel paralyzed and that they “cannot start something new.”
- At times, it may be necessary to encourage and participate in aggressive treatment options. However, many times getting a person suffering from anxiety to begin any type of intervention at all is a first positive step and can have an impact.
- We do not want to overwhelm our loved one, so I recommended beginning with only one type of anxiety solution at first. If your loved one wants to participate in more than one intervention, by all means encourage them.
- Remember to give them positive praise for their healthy behavioral changes, as opposed to criticizing their fears in order to fix your loved ones with anxiety.
Number Four: Check in with your loved one.
- To fix your loved ones with anxiety, work together on a way to measure progress weekly based on their individual situation—not on some idealistic perfection.
- You can always ask your loved one if they want to try a different anxiety solution or intervention. There is not a one-size fits all approach.
- That is why it is so important to gather information about anxiety and, if necessary, consult with an expert. Knowledge is power. But the knowledge will only help your loved one change if they are able to take action.
- Sometimes people are able to use an online course or a book to work through their anxiety, and at other times, many clinical interventions are needed.
- Remember, open communication with your loved one about anxiety is key. That way you can help them determine how much help they need, in what timeframe, and in what dosage.
Bonus: As a bonus, I want to give you tips on how to help your family member with anxiety attacks. Learn what helps to stop Anxiety Attacks in their tracks–check out my video above.
I have developed hundreds of tools in video, audio, and written formats that I want to share with you. If you want a more in-depth approach to defeating anxiety and to fix your loved ones with anxiety further, head on over to the free Anxiety Freedom Master Class.
Anxiety should not be a life sentence.
True mental health is a lifestyle that anyone can learn to live. I became a doctor to help people achieve physical and mental freedom from their symptoms. I have a special passion for helping the family members of those suffering from anxiety. Now as an anxiety expert and integrative mental health consultant, my aim is to help as many people as possible get rid of the anxiety and achieve true freedom.
Are you ready to join me on this journey? Doing so will not only help your own anxiety, but to fix your loved ones with anxiety as well.
I have a free gift for you: The Anxiety Freedom Masterclass. If you resonated with our time together, come check out this free 1 hour class using Somatographic Imagery to get your life back from anxiety and self-doubt. Babes, you are amazing, you are unique, you have value and oh my gosh I believe in you so much.
You can watch the FREE Anxiety Freedom Masterclass today and get started on your journey toward true freedom! I will be there guiding you for the entire class–and you can watch it over and over.
Here’s to your next chapter.
P.S. If you haven’t already, check out the 1 week Anxiety Freedom Challenge. I have so much passion invested in you getting set free from anxiety Let’s do this!
Dr. Nicole Cain is an advocate for empowering people around the world to help themselves via her educational free resources, online courses, and membership group. You can receive the tools you need to find the root cause of your symptoms and feel healthy again.